DADPRENEURS and their story is incredibly cool
This week, do we have a TREAT for you. For the 1st time, we are featuring on our series, two #DADPRENEURS and their story is incredibly cool. J.B. Schneider and Antonio Turco-Rivas met during their MBA program and took the opportunity of being in an entrepreneurial university environment to put in place their plan to create Playfully-Smart furniture for kids, partnering with a design school in order to create their innovative and fun kids’ furniture brand. This is the story of P’kolino which we are proud to announce is now available on the Criblis app.
- P’kolino (pee-ko-lee-no) has such cool, edgy, fun, modern design. How did it come to life? We really wanted to create products that parents would find attractive and children would find fun and engaging. For parents benefit we try to keep the designs clean and modern, and for children we add some color and playful shapes. The functionality; is appreciated by both. We call this design philosophy Playfully-Stylish and Functionally-Smart; or simply Playfully Smart!
- Tell us a bit more about the people behind the brand? Antonio and J.B. started P’kolino after meeting in School. They come from very different backgrounds, Antonio growing up in Venezuela, and J.B. in Michigan, but they share a common love for well-designed products and for family. Both parents from large families they understand the importance of creating a nurturing family home. This is why creating products that the entire family can enjoy has always been one of their primary goals.
- What are the biggest challenges in creating a kids’ brand? Keeping it fresh and relevant. Children grow quickly, and new parents are coming to the market every day with individual tastes. This is one of the reasons we implemented our fast customization services; so we can bring new styles to the market quickly and customer can even design their own pieces.
- What is the most rewarding part of your work? Seeing that social media post by a happy parent of a smiling child enjoying their P’kolino product. See #LittleReaderChair on Instagram for some great examples.
- How do you find “your people” – the community of parents and friends who value what you are doing? We do some traditional marketing in communities where likeminded people may be, but our best “people” come from word-of-mouth. From current community members telling a friend about us. We see that a lot. We learned from a recent customer survey that over 60% had more than one P’kolino product and that over 95% would recommend us to a friend. That was nice to see.
- What is P’kolino’s mission? To create playfully-stylish and functionally-smart products that both parent and child love.
- What advice do you have for parents who want to transition into becoming entrepreneurs? #mompreneur #dadpreneur Do it because you love it. If you don’t truly believe in what you are doing no one else will.
- What values do you want to pass along to your little ones? Kindness. Is there anything more important than knowing how to be good to people?